Tuesday 19 September 2017

Raspberry Pi Zero Smart Energy Meter


The plan for this project is to take my ageing Smart Energy meter that I got given free about 10 years ago, connecting it up to the very low-cost Raspberry Pi via a serial to USB interface, then using some Python scripts to 'webify' it and send the data to the home server to make graphs and stuff.

Not the world's most complex of hardware hacks as it just involves plugging things together but for a first dip back into the world of that kind of thing, I think it's enough.

Project overview:


Objectives: Getting the electricity usage data into a MySQL database on the server so that I can analyse it and build nice graphs and stuff and things.

Challenges: Parsing the stream of XML data, then firing it to the server using some kind of API endpoint (that I have to write)

Progress:


01/05/2016

  • Pi Zero ordered!


05/05/2016

  • Pi Zero delivered!


09/05/2016 - 18:20

  • I just successfully booted the Pi Zero, connected to the old USB hub. Not a major milestone, but a very important one.


It didn't explode! Yay! 




August 2016

  • We moved house and the Smart Energy meter has gone missing - it's in a box somewhere


September 2017

  • Still no further progress but I'm posting this project as it stands in an effort to kick me into actually making progress.  Hopefully there will be an update soon! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Concatenating CSVs the easy way

I was recently asked how to 'merge' a few CSV files into one, and if there was a script or tool that could do that. Lets say you h...